Human personality and behavior is highly complex. We can try to explore the motivation and dynamics involved using tools such as the Enneagram and Sytem Dynamics. Each of the nine Enneagram personality types is characterized by a basic desire and a basic fear.* In the healthy state, the dynamics is controlled by the basic desire, whereas in the unhealthy state, the dynamics is controlled by the basic fear.
- Reformer: I must be perfect
- Helper: I must help others
- Motivator: I need to succeed
- Artist: I am unique
- Thinker: I need to figure it out
- Loyalist: I am always dutiful
- Enthusiast: I am so happy
- Leader: I must be strong
- Peacemaker: I am complacent
Click here to see the notations for the system dynamics diagram.
* See Understanding the Enneagram: The Practical Guide to Personality Types by Don R. Riso. The book has a great deal of useful information, concise explanations, and practical suggestions.